General Information


We offer both face-to-face and virtual (WhatsApp/ Facetime) viewings, where applicable. We have extensive videos, photos and floorplans on our website to help you get a good feel for the property from your laptop or mobile device.

Where more than one person is named as Tenant on the Agreement the liability of the individual tenant shall be joint and several”

You can apply for a property via our website. The application form can be completed online and sent through to us. Once received we will process your details and keep you informed of the progress.

If you are successful, we will then issue an electronic contract via Docusign. You will also be required to pay a deposit. We cannot hold or reserve properties and work on a first come first served basis.

Many of our properties are located in close proximity to non-student households and as a Thornsett tenant we expect you to be mindful of your neighbours. Please click HERE to view the information produced by Sheffield University on Anti-social behaviour.

The University of Sheffield Student Wellbeing Service can provide preventative support to help you manage your well-being and succeed at University. If you’re feeling down, overwhelmed or struggling to adjust to student life, you can meet one-to-one with a Well-being Adviser in your faculty, or attend workshops to help you improve your well being. For more information and to book an appointment, visit

Student Access to Mental Health Support (SAMHS) is the first point of contact for students to explore a broad range of mental health support needs in a single triage appointment. The service is staffed by experienced mental health professionals who assess student mental health needs and direct them to the most appropriate form of support. If you feel you may need mental health support, please complete the simple and quick online registration form at

Below are the details for some of the really great support services that are available to all students at The University of Sheffield. You can also get further details about these here:

There are a range of self-help tools and resources available for students online at This includes Togetherall which is a digital mental health support service which is available online, 24/7, and is completely anonymous so you can express yourself freely and openly

There is also a well being guide available here from Blackbullion. 

For concerns about your health and mental well being please do book an appointment with the University Health Service on 53 Gell Street. You can call them on 0114 222 2100 or email them on [email protected] (open 8:45 am – 6:00 pm Monday – Thursday and 8:45 am – 5:00 pm on Friday)

Chaplaincy support is available to all students at the Chaplaincy Centre they are available 9:00 am until 5:00 pm Monday to Thursday and 9:00 am to 2:00 pm on Friday. For general enquiries, please email [email protected] or phone 0114 222 8923

Finally, if you need someone to talk to or require information to help find other relevant support services outside of the times that the main services are open, you could contact the Samaritans who offer emotional support 24 hours a day. You can call them on 116 123, or email them on [email protected]

Download Complaints Proceedure

We are committed to providing a good standard of accommodation and excellent service throughout your tenancy with us.  Whilst we hope you should have no reason to complain, if something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with our service, please tell us and we will endeavour to resolve the issue as soon as possible. We value all feedback (both positive and negative) and use the information to help improve our service and your experience with us.

Frequently Asked Questions

We can carry out face-to-face viewings or virtual by WhatsApp or Facetime. We will need to give at least 24 hours notice to the current tenant. Please call us on 0114 2669700 or email [email protected]

Once you are ready to commit to one of our properties, you will need to complete an application form, a digital contract will then be emailed over to you for signing. This is a binding agreement and until it is signed the property will remain available to others.

If you have recently moved out of a property, there is a process to follow. Please click HERE for deposit return information 

No. We don’t charge an administration charge and we also don’t take holding deposits.

Rent is paid to us via Bank Transfer (BACS) or direct debit (Using GoCardless)

We always try to give our current tenants first refusal on any property. We will write to you in advance asking if you wish to stay on for another term. If you do wish to stay on, please get in touch ASAP so we can reserve the property for you. If you require a smaller or larger property to accommodate your group or just fancy a change, we will make every effort to meet your needs.

All our properties have the following:

Gas Safety Certificate (if required) checked and renewed annually.

Electrical EICR Certificate checked and renewed every 5 years

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) checked and renewed every 10 years

Fire Alarm checked at the change of each new tenancy

Yes you will. On a joint tenancy agreement you will need one licence per property and if you have taken an all inclusive package this may be included. You can purchase a licence online at

If you are in full time education, you are exempt from council tax. We will register with Sheffield City Council so they are aware of your status.

For professional tenants, you will need to pay council tax. Please visit the council website to check which band the property falls in to and to register your details with them.

Can't find what you are looking for?​