Tenant Information

Table of Contents

Pre Tenancy


We will try our best to carry out face to face viewings but must adhere to the current Covid-19 guidance. To overcome these problems, we have extensive videos, photos and floorplans on this website to help you get a good feel for the property from your laptop or mobile device. Once you are ready to view then please contact us and we will go through the procedure with you prior to attending.

Booking a property

You will need to contact our office and you will be issued with an application form requesting your details. This form needs to be completed ASAP so we can then issue an electronic contract via Docusign. You will also be required to pay a deposit (see further info below). We cannot hold or reserve properties and work on a first come first served basis.

Tenancy Agreement

Your tenancy agreement is an assured shorthold agreement for a fixed term. When you sign the contract you have made a legally binding agreement with Thornsett Properties to keep to the terms and conditions. The most important point of a joint tenancy agreement is:

Where more than one person is named as Tenant on the Agreement the liability of the individual tenant shall be joint and several”


Thornsett Properties use the Deposit Protection Service (DPS) to protect your deposit. More details are available at http://www.depositprotection.com

Thornsett Properties will register the deposit with the DPS prior to the tenancy agreement starting.

All deposit monies are held by the DPS for the duration of the tenancy agreement and Thornsett Properties do not hold or have use of this money. Your deposit will be released at the end of the tenancy agreement subject to compliance with the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement.

How do I pay the rent?

We use a mix of Bank Transfer (Standing Order) and Direct Debit (GoCardless)

You will receive details by email from our team prior to moving in.


All-Inclusive Utilities Package (Crookesmoor Properties only)

We have partnered with UniHomes to offer our tenants an all-inclusive package that takes away the hassle of managing utility bills between you and your housemates. Each tenant will pay their own share of the utility bills by Direct Debit to Unihomes on a monthly basis, which means no chasing your housemates for their share.

The utility package includes gas (where applicable), electricity, water, internet and a TV licence. You will also be given the option of upgrading to fibre optic internet if this is available in your area.

When you sign the tenancy agreement for one of our properties, you’ll always be given the option of going all-inclusive with UniHomes. We’ll ask you to complete a simple order form which we will then send to UniHomes to get you and your housemates set up and ready for when your tenancy begins.

UniHomes make managing utility bills easy, but if you have a question, you can always visit www.unihomes.co.uk/help to find more information or call the team on 0330 822 0266 or email [email protected]

View the Unihomes Rates for 2021/22 

All-Inclusive Utilities Package (City Centre only)

We will oversee the managing of the utilities and the bills are included on a fair usage (capped) basis. The limits will be clearly stated in the tenancy agreement, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Gas/ Electric/ Water (Bills not included)

You can choose the most competitive supplier of gas and electricity. If you are in one of our City Centre flats many of these developments currently include utility costs as part of your rent based upon fair usage as per the tenancy agreement.

If you would like to find out the current utility suppliers for your property, please see below:

Gas – to find out your gas supplier call 0870 608 1524

Electricity – to find out your electricity supplier visit: www.northernpowergrid.com

Water – contact Yorkshire water on 0845 124 2424

TV Licence

You must buy a TV licence for the property if you have a television. Only one is required (if you are on a joint tenancy) for the property regardless of the number of televisions.

More information is available at http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk


There are various sites and packages available on the internet when finding your broadband provider, comparison websites are a good place to start.

Some of our properties have the Broadband supplied by Pine Media Ltd on 0114 4031 031 or email [email protected] – please enquire with us for further information.


Please be aware that your property may be located in a parking permit zone. If this is the case, you will be required to apply to Sheffield City Council for a Parking Permit. A maximum of two Permit Zone passes are allocated to a property. Apply for your permits early to avoid any delay in receiving them in time.

To apply for a Parking Permit, please visit the Sheffield City Council website: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/sheffield/home/parking.html

The following Thornsett properties are car free schemes, which means the tenants cannot apply for Sheffield City Council parking permits:

  • 498 Glossop Road (Flats 1 -3), Sheffield, S10 2QA (apartments above the York Pub)

  • 3, 5, 7 St Peters Close, Sheffield, S1 2EJ

  • Gladstone Buildings, 1 St James Row, Sheffield, S1 2EU

  • 7-16 St James Row, Sheffield, S1 2EU

  • Refuge Assurance Apartments, Church Street, Sheffield, S1 2GL

  • 1 Broomgrove Crescent, Sheffield, S10 2LQ

  • 5, 7, 9 Harcourt Crescent, Sheffield, S10 1DG

6, 6a, 6b, 8, 8a, 8b Harcourt Road, Sheffield, S10 1DJ – off street parking must be applied for through the landlord, which is restricted to a one named vehicle per property and issued at the landlord’s discretion, spaces cannot be assigned.

PLEASE NOTE – The Landlord will not be responsible for supplying parking permits issued by other authorities or companies or paying any parking fines incurred due to non-compliance with parking regulations.

During your Tenanacy

Start of Tenancy

To take responsibility of the property from the start date of the agreement as stated in the Terms on Page 1. Within 7 days of your key being issued or 30 days from the start of the tenancy agreement, whichever is sooner, report any notes for file reference relating to the property.

What if I want to leave after signing the contract?

Speak to us and your housemates to explain the situation. A suitable replacement will need to be found and once this has been done we can release you from the tenancy.


Smoking is not permitted in any of our properties, this includes any apartments, grounds or communal areas.


Thornsett Properties operates a strict no pet policy and you are not permitted to keep pets or allow pets of any kind into the property with the exception of guide dogs.

Moving In & Out

These dates are stated on the front page of the tenancy agreement and we will be in touch during the year to remind you.

When moving out you will be given a written reminder no less than 8 weeks beforehand and you must vacate by this date.

Rent Payments

We offer various payment plans depending on the property you are living in and your employment or study circumstances. The details of your payments are supplied in your tenancy agreement.

Council Tax

Full Time Students are exempt, those in work are required to pay their own council tax.


We will send you advanced notification of our visit and expect the property to be kept clean and damage free. If we find any problems you will be contacted within 5 working days with details of any action required.

Illegal Substances

The use of illegal substances is not permitted within the boundaries of the property and we will take the relevant legal steps if any tenants are suspected of using or passing illegal substances to others.


This is not permitted as per the tenancy agreement.


You are responsible for keeping your property in a clean condition during your stay.

Property Security

Your safety and security is very important to us at Thornsett Properties. Most properties have a burglar alarm, we advise that this is set when the property is vacant. All locks are thumb turn, which means you can escape quickly in the event of an emergency. All windows have secure catches which can be opened without a key in the event of an emergency.


The tenant is responsible for contents insurance to cover your own personal possessions. Thornsett Properties will insure the building.

Personal Safety

  • Familiarise yourself with the layout of your property so in the event of an emergency you know which way to go

  • Always lock your door

  • Secure all the windows

  • Do not let strangers enter the property

  • If you are the last to leave, set the burglar alarm

  • If you lose your keys, please report to Thornsett ASAP

  • Always ask for identification from strangers

  • All visitors must be escorted in and out of the building

  • Never lend other people your keys as these are unique and will incur charges if lost.

  • Please be vigilant with items such as laptops, mobile phones, game devices and other high value goods. Do not leave them on show when you are out.


  1. Do not attempt to personally contain the fire unless it is safe to do so.

  2. If a fire is detected in your property please leave the property immediately in an orderly fashion, do not run or stop to collect any personal belongings.

  1. Call 999

  2. Raise the alarm, so that other occupiers within the property and neighbours are also aware of any danger.

Emergency Numbers

Property EMERGENCIES ONLY – Call 0114 266 9700 and follow the answerphone – a property emergency is classed as damage caused by fire, leaks, burglary.

Other items can wait until the office reopens. Please beware if this service is not used correctly then there may be a charge.

Fire – 999

Police – 999

Ambulance – 999

Powercut – 105

NHS Direct – 0845 4647

Crime Stoppers – If you would like to report a crime anonymously 0800 555 111

Sheffield City Council – If you have a noise or anti-social related problem 101


If someone has a serious accident, please call 999 immediately and ask for an ambulance, you will need to give the full address.

Waste Disposal

Please use the appropriate coloured bins for waste and recycling.

Black wheeled bins are provided to households in Sheffield for the disposal of domestic waste and are collected every 2 weeks.

Brown wheeled bins are provided to households in Sheffield to recycle glass, cans, tins and plastic bottles and are collected every 4 weeks.

Blue wheeled bins are provided to recycle paper and card and are collected every 4 weeks.

Collection Day Finder

To find out when your next bin collection is, enter your postcode on the following website.


For further information on Waste and Recycling, please click on the links below:


Property Maintenance

All maintenance must be reported using our website www.thornsett.com

Click on Tenant Portal then Report a repair

Any reported maintenance will then go straight to our in house maintenance team

When moving into your property, if your bedroom walls are marked there are 2 options:

1. Repaint

If you choose to have your room repainted then you must email us here and request this stating your name, property, room number. You will also agree not to fix anything to the wall and return the room with no damage.

2. Leave

If your walls are already marked and you want to fix posters, then this is fine and we will not repaint them.

We have a rolling program for communal painting so if any work is going to be carried out after your contract starts then we will email you to inform you of timescales.us 

Table of Contents

Deposit Return

Once you have vacated and complied with the issued checkout procedure then we will process the deposit via the DPS website.


When moving out the house must be left in a suitable state of repair and cleanliness for the next tenant. We strongly advise you to follow the cleaning checklist on the supplied ‘Moving Out Guide’. Cleaning includes removal of any excess rubbish. Please do not leave extra black bags and other waste around the bins.


All utility bills must be paid in full up to the last day of the term. The original bills showing the meter readings and proof of payment must be provided. This does not apply to bills included properties in the City Centre.

Meter Readings

It is essential that you record your meter readings when moving out to avoid extra charges and to pass them onto the relevant Utility suppliers.

Key Return

You are required to return your keys to the office on the date your tenancy ends. Please inform us prior to the date if you have any problems or need to discuss alternative instructions.

Table of Contents


Repairs are undertaken based on their merit and whether they need actioning immediately or within an agreed timescale. Most repairs are handled within a reasonable timescale however where parts or specialist engineers are required this can take longer, we will however keep you updated.

Out of hours (between 5pm and 9am)

Emergency calls only should be reported by telephone on 0114 266 9700 and the answerphone will give you the number to contact. This is not for reporting routine maintenance.

Water Leaks

These can be very damaging, inconvenient and dangerous to surrounding properties. If water is leaking onto electrics please do not touch anything electrical and call Thornsett Properties immediately. Please try to catch the water in a container and report the leak immediately, no matter how small.

Electrical Faults

First check your fuse board to see if a switch has tripped – do not touch any bare wires, sockets or switches. Power failures are out of our control and we will contact the electricity distribution company to find out the problem and update you when information comes in. If your electrical fault persists then please contact Thornsett Properties.

Maintenance response times

It is expected that a repair will be completed within the times stated below in the majority of cases. It is however recognised that there may be circumstances where this may not be achievable, and Landlords should advise tenants of anticipated completion dates for repairs where target dates cannot be met and make any necessary arrangements to address health and safety issues until the repairs are completed.

Category - A (emergency)

All repairs endangering the safety, health or security of the residents or the structure of the building e.g. gas leaks, major electrical faults, blocked WCs, major water leaks.

Response time: Not more than within 24 hours of notification. This should include a response to burglary damage boarding/ repair of any insecure door or window within 12 hours.

Category - B (urgent)

Eg. Complete breakdown of heating/hot water systems and serious lighting faults.

Response time: Within 48 hours of notification.

Category – C

All other urgent repairs affecting the structure and services but not regarded to be prejudicial to the safety, health or security of the residents or the structure of the building, e.g. direct water penetration, refrigerator breakdowns and major cooker faults.

Response time: Within seven working days of notification.

Category – D (routine non-urgent)

All other repairs reported but which do not affect the safety, health or security of the residents or the structure of the building and are services, which do not prevent reasonable occupation of the accommodation. Examples are plasterwork and minor furniture repairs. Response time: Within three weeks of notification.


You Currently Have No Favourites Selected